Monday, September 20, 2004

XP headaches

I am - intentionally - behind the times by not having MS XP OS installed on my own PCs - I prefer to get paid if I have to do beta testing - so having to use it when a not very websavvy friend asked me to set up her PC for safer surfing and emailing with Firefox and Thunderbird I had my first taste of XP2 . . . which made me seriously consider to do use dos prompt "format c:" - for those unfamiliar with dos, erasing the whole c drive - and reinstall the relatively good windows '98 package: XP2 might be meant to make browsing safer for the average user, but default blocking of any automatic download - such as when I went to the Firefox and Thunderbird sites and an infernal number of warning pop ups don't make anything safer for me, they only increase the number of headaches I get. Why can't the Redmond idiots come up with a more intelligent manner to make sure the user checks if he or she wants to download a file, such as Firefox' three second delay popup window that asks if you want to download or install and prevents with the said delay the easy hitting of the yes button.

Maybe if they ask the guys at the Mozilla foundation nicely, they'll license it to them.

(And before someone points it out, I know that Firefox is an open source project and that therefore licensing fees don't apply, but as stupid as certain people seem to be, they might even pay them. :P).

Conclusion: XP2 = Blah!!!

End of rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home