Thursday, October 28, 2004

SFX weirdness

Or at least what I consider weirdness: due to the teams new top 250 listing by weekly referrals, instead of overall, I'm not in the top 250 Firefox referral list myself anymore - I have 2,100 overall referrals by now (and I had to log in to check that - blah!), which is pretty good for a non-large traffic, non-firefox affiliated site, I think - being pushed down by newcomers with 300 or so. One of the biggest referring sites, Overclockers Club, with 73,000+ referrals overall is 87 now, and top of the list at the moment is the SFX team itself, which I personally find somewhat of bad taste - hasn't anybody told them that usually "company employees are not permitted to participate in the contest?"

Still, do I care about my ranking? Well, if I am honest, a little. Or maybe a lot, though in fact not about the ranking as such, but about the IMO somewhat less that ideal attitude the team seems to have towards early supporters. Certainly, attracting new people is good, but in general, annoying the old isn't smart, since it's usally the early contributors who are committed to a cause. And it's usually them losing interest that does a bigger damage to a project than a slightly slower influx of new people. Ah well. For me personally, I'll certainly go on promoting
Firefox both on and offline, but my enthusiasm for the sfx website and the team is definitely diminished.

I am, however, glad to see that the number of
Firefox downloads is still steadily increasing, close to 6.7 million now and that with one day left, the number of contributors to the The New York Times Ad Campaign is over 9,000. I think it would be great if they would make if over 10,000 in 10 days. Which would come down to 1,000 a day and overall to four times as many as they had originally targeted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home